IntroductionThis article provides the best practices and usecases for troubleshooting issues with Parallels Plesk Panel (PP) for Linux migration. Each section of this article contains cross references to Parallels knowledgebase (KB) articles for that particular stage of the migration process.
Helpful information in regards to PP for Windows can be found in the following KB article:
113590 Parallels Plesk Panel for Windows: Migration Best Practices and Usecases
Table of contentsServer preparation prerequisites
Migrating between different versions of PP
Migration from different platforms
Manual migration tips and hints
Logs and log collector
Make sure you have correctly prepared both of your servers for migrationTo do so, refer to the article below:
- 2112 How must PP server be prepared for migration?
Migrating between different versions of PPBefore migrating between different versions of PP, make sure to read these threads:
- 9578 How to convert and restore backup from an older version of Parallels Plesk Panel to version 10
- 5969 How do you migrate Parallels Plesk Panel 9 and 10 using GUI Backup Manager?
- 7021 Domain migration from Parallels Plesk Panel 7.x or 8.x to Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2 fails during SpamAssassin "action" element XML validation (applicable for 9.x)
- 6807 Domain migration from PP version older than v. 9.x fails
- 9208 Migration from PP 7.5 to PP 9.3 fails with error "The attribute 'guid' is required but missing" (applicable for 9.x)
Mass migrationIf you want to perform a mass migration, consider using the migration script described here:
- 113283 Plesk Mass Migration Script
Migration from different platformsBefore migrating from a different control panel, make sure to read the following KB article:
- 6337 How to migrate mail from non-PP hosting server to Parallels Plesk Panel
Manual migration tips and hintsIf a manual transfer is required (for mail content, complete server after a crash, database moving, etc.), refer to the following sources:
- 3072 How do I restore PP from the hard disk drive if the Operating System is broken and the HDD with the old OS and PP is mounted in the new system?
- 1152 How to migrate PP data manually with Plesk Migration Manager
- 6518 How to migrate local database between Parallels Plesk Panel servers manually (applicable for versions 8.x and 9.x)
- 112812 How to migrate Customers and Business Manager data
- 6158 How to migrate Сalendar, Personal Address Book, and Horde Webmail preferences manually
- 5882 How to migrate PP and SiteBuilder content and retain PP and SiteBuilder integration (applicable for versions 8.x and 9.x)
Logs and log collectorIn order to troubleshoot a logs issue, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- 9679 Structure of Plesk Migration Manager (PMM) logs and PMM logs collector
Connectivity issuesSometimes, migrating to another server is not possible due to connectivity problems between servers. Please refer to the following articles to check whether this is the case:
- 5857 Plesk Migration Manager is missing in Parallels Plesk Panel 9.0 (applicable for version 9.0)
- 8495 Migration does not start: “Error: No migration agents found. Data migration is not available”
- 807 I am trying to use Migration Manager to transfer my accounts to Parallels Plesk Panel for UNIX server but get "connection failed" error
- 111131 How to prevent mail users from seeing other users in control panel
- 11213 Migration of mail users to Parallels Plesk Panel 10 fails with error "Unrecognized option: '-passwd_type'"
- 114489 Mail backup takes too much time to restore
Missing something?From time to time, you may encounter difficulties with migration due to some missing elements. The following resources may help you troubleshoot such scenarios:
- 111810 Since "tar" is run under FTP user, files created with PHP scripts are lost from migration backup
- 6627 SSL certificate from server repository is not migrated
- 113497 Application entry point changed after migration
- 9522 Crontab secure shell is incorrectly configured after migration
- 9523 Shell description is missing from crontab files after migration
- 111193 PP API doesn't add forwarding addresses on mailbox creation
- 113065 DNS records pointing to external IP addresses are missing after migration
- 8931 Wrong certificate is assigned to the domain after migration (applicable for versions prior to 10.x)
- 7001 During migration to Parallels Panel 9.2.3, character "\" is doubled in mail account's password
- 9421 Domain content is not migrated from Parallels Plesk Panel on FreeBSD
- 113039 "fsDomain" parameter is not defined in "smb_settings" table
Error revealedPeriodically, an error may occur with log files or PP GUI messages, in which cases the following articles may be useful:
Unable to change the subscription owner: Required option "-map_ip [,]" is not set.
- 111758 Migration of domains fails with IP conflict
pmm utility "migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1
- 6349 Migration fails with error: pmm utility "migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1
An error occurred during domain update: error in hosting updating: Unable to update hosting preferences: system user update is failed: Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 20, Authentication token manipulation error
- 6247 Domain cannot be migrated with error "Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 20, Authentication token manipulation error"
Error: Some fields are empty or contain an improper value.
- 5271 Migration fails with the "Some fields are empty or contain an improper value" message
Runtime error during db: (1, '', 'ERROR 1071 (42000) at line 323: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes\n')
- 6019 Migration fails with error "Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes"
Unable to create certificate "default certificate": certificate with such name already exists
- 111698 Migration fails with error "certificate with such name already exists"
readResponse|handle 1|(14) data[Error: unable to connect to database: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket$
- 830 When using the PMM to migrate PP data from FreeBSD, I receive this error after selecting the accounts to transfer:
Object has been excluded from restore
- 112879 Migration and backup fails with unclear error: "Object has been excluded from restore" (applicable for versions 10.x)
Unable execute MigrationWait::make(): Unable to create bar: assigned values not like "minimal value <= current value <= maximal value (!= 0)
- 6262 Migration fails with error "minimal value <= current value <= maximal value (!= 0)"
Password should not be longer than 14 symbols
- 8682 Migration fails with the error: Password should not be longer than 14 symbols (applicable for versions 8.x, 9.x)
Error: pmm utility migration_handler" raised an exception. Error code is: 1
See pmmcli.log to find out detailed information on this
- 112964 Migration fails with error "Unable to create dump"
ERROR: (hosting object '<any domain with attached database>') Failed deployment of database <name of database> (domain <any domain with attached database>)
ERROR: () Execution of /usr/bin/mysql --no-defaults -u admin -h localhost -P 3306 <name of database> failed with return code 1.
source <temporary path to backup file>;
ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 4 in file: "<temporary path to backup file>5": You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near -------------------------------------------------------
- 112891 Database migration fails because MySQL dump is generated in wrong format
Assertion failed: files.size() == 1
- 112873 Subscription migration fails with error "Assertion failed: files.size() == 1"
Illegal mix of collations
- 1253 I get this error during migration from PP server: "Illegal mix of collations"
ERROR: (client object "testclient") Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/client.php --update testclient -phone +44.466032321 -city Testcity -address Test\ 66\ bus\ 4 -company Testcompany -country GB -zip 1234 -state Test failed with return code 1.
Unable to update a user account:
Wrong syntax for command's "-phone" parameter.
- 112686 Cannot migrate client due to error: "Wrong syntax for command's '-phone' parameter"
== STDERR ====================
Cannot request remote agent status using command line /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl: Assertion ((svtype)((_svi)->sv_flags & 0xff)) == SVt_IV || ((svtype)((_svi)->sv_flags & 0xff)) >= SVt_PVIV failed: file "op.c", line 4161 at RsyncContent.pm line 260.
Compilation failed in require at Packer.pm line 10.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Packer.pm line 10.
Compilation failed in require at StopWatchPacker.pm line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at StopWatchPacker.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at PleskX.pm line 135.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at PleskX.pm line 135.
Compilation failed in require at /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl line 8.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /var/cache/20110902132102493/PleskX.pl line 8.
- 113550 PP migration from source server with OpenSUSE fails with RsyncContent.pm errors
Object not found: Domain TestDomain.com
- 111703 Domain migration fails with error "Object not found" (applicable for versions prior 10.4)
Failed deployment of prot.directory /testdir (domain *.wildcardtest.tld)
- 112872 Migration from Confixx fails with error "Failed deployment of prot.directory /testdir (domain *.wildcardtest.tld)"