SymptomsParallels Server 4 Bare Metal uses a version of a third-party library (Qt) that has a bug leading to various problems on servers running PSBM 4 and having long uptime, for example:
- prlsrvctl info does not show hardware information.
- It is not possible to assign more than 1 CPU per virtual machine.
- Parallels Management Console shows virtual hard disks as having the size of 0 GB (the real virtual HDDs are not corrupted).
- There are issues with snapshots creation and deletion.
- It is not possible to back up a virtual machine due to the snapshots issue above.
The issue is permanently fixed in Parallels Server 5 Bare Metal, which is based on a newer version of the Qt library.
ResolutionThe workaround is to either reboot the hardware node or restart the parallels-server service:
- Suspend or stop all virtual machines.
- Run the service parallels-server restart command on the hardware node.
- Resume or start the virtual machines.