Also, wildcard records in the zone of the main domain begin to resolve earlier than the subdomains, which can lead to incorrect resolving of subdomains.
- Plesk Panel was upgraded prom any previous version to Plesk Panel 10.4.4 version (from initial release up to MU8).
- A new feature which creates a separate DNS zone for subdomains instead of corresponding "A" records in the zone of the main domain has been implemented as of the release of Parallels Plesk Panel v10.4.4.
- The problematic switching of subdomain DNS records to the new format and the inability to return to the old format of subdomain DNS records were both corrected in the Parallels Plesk Panel version 10.4.4 update 9 (MU9).
Note: since Parallels Plesk Panel 10.4.4 MU9 (available since Dec 22, 2011) the behavior was changed.
At the moment Plesk Panel has two different behavior of DNS records for subdomains:
- Old - "parent" (А record for subdomain in zone of parent domain).
- New - "own" (separate zone for subdomain).
You can check which type of behaviour is enabled for your Plesk server with following SQL query (since PP 10.4.4 MU9):
"%plesk_bin%\dbclient.exe" --direct-sql --sql="select * from misc where param='subdomain_own_zones'"
# MYSQL_PWD=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` mysql -u admin psa -e 'select * from misc where param = "subdomain_own_zones"'
The output looks like:
| param | val |
| subdomain_own_zones | false |
false (or empty value) = Old behavior (parent).
true = New behavior (own).
You can switch behavior to the Old/New with help of
"%plesk_cli%\server_pref.exe" -u -subdomain-dns-zone parent
"%plesk_cli%\server_pref.exe" -u -subdomain-dns-zone own
# /usr/local/psa/bin/server_pref -u -subdomain-dns-zone parent
# /usr/local/psa/bin/server_pref -u -subdomain-dns-zone own
Now after fresh Plesk Panel installation and after upgrade from any version except Plesk Panel 10.4 mentioned behavior will be Old (parent) - A records of subdomains will be in zones of corresponding parent domains.
If you did upgrade to Plesk Panel 10.4.4 MU < 9 and DNS records of subdomains have been switched to own subdomain zones - New (own) behavior will not be changed.