SymptomsNormally file compression starts automatically when the disk space is close to its quota. Since Virtuozzo doesn’t support ntfs compression, the compressed VE will not start after this.To avoid this, we recommend that you to disable automatic compression within any and all VEs.
ResolutionHow to disable compression manually inside specific VE’s (these actions are done inside the VE):
1. Run regedit
2. Backup your current registry. To do this, click on File > Export and enter a name.
3. After you have backed up your registry, drill down to: HKey Local Machine > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current Version > Explorer > Volume Caches > Compress Old Files
4. In the right hand panel, double click on the REG_SZ (default) variable in order to edit it.
5. A window pops up that will have a long string of characters in the Value Data field: B50F5260-0C21-11D2-AB56-00A0C9082678
6. Press DEL to remove (clear out) the value data field, then click OK and then exit the RegEdit program.
Note: we are NOT deleting the actual key, just the value assigned to the key.
How to disable automatic compression permanently for all VEs on the node (these actions should be done on the node itself):
1. Open the C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Virtuozzo\BIN\on_vps_startup.cmd file.
2. Find “goto quit_cmd” sting and insert the following code before it:
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\vz%VEID%\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files" /ve /f
3. Save on_vps_startup.cmd
4. To apply this setting for all running Ves, you will need to restart them.