ResolutionThere are two possible ways upgrading MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express that Microsoft recommends: “in-place upgrade” and ”side-by-side upgrade”.
Performing an in-place upgrade is the recommended upgrade procedure in Plesk environment. The in-place upgrade automatically replaces all of the MSDE components and it also automatically upgrades all user databases.
To perform an in-place upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express in Plesk environment:
1. Remove MSDE component from Plesk. This action is safe and doesn't remove MSDE service as well as user databases.
2. Download and install the .NET Framework 2.0 if it is not installed. The .NET Framework 2.0 is a prerequisite to SQL Server 2005 Express. You can download it from: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=47248. After downloading the .NET Framework 2.0, install it by running the dotnetfx.exe program.
3. Start the SQL Server 2005 setup program.
4. Clear the Hide Advance Configuration check box (shown below):
5. On the Instance Name page, choose the Default instance:
6. On the Existing components page, select the appropriate instance to upgrade:
7. On the Upgrade Logon information page, choose SQL Server Authentication mode and specify the logon information:
8. Specify the remaining configuration options (generally accept all defaults). In the Ready to Install dialog box, click Install. This upgrades the specified instance of MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express.
9. To complete the MSDE upgrade it's necessary to run Plesk Reconfigurator by click on Start, All Programs, Parallels, Plesk and choose Check conponent and folder permissions:
AdditionalInformationHow to upgrade MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express where you cannot or do not want to perform an in-place upgrade: