SymptomsMS SQL 2008 server shipped with Parallels Plesk Panel 9.x stops working after some time.
The following error appears in 'C:\Program Files\Parallels\Plesk\Databases\MSSQL2008\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG' log file:
2009-06-16 09:29:08.91 Server Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (CTP) - 10.0.1442.32 (Intel X86)
2009-06-16 09:29:08.95 Server Error: 17051, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2009-06-16 09:29:08.95 Server SQL Server evaluation period has expired.
CauseIf you install Parallels Plesk Panel 9.2.1 and earlier 9.x versions on Windows 2008 Server, then SQL Server 2008 CTP (Community Technology Preview) version is installed by default which is limited by usage time.
ResolutionYou are recommended to upgrade MS SQL 2008 (CTP) to MS SQL 2008 Express, as follows:
1. Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 Express from:
2. Launch installer;
3. On "SQL Server Installation Center" window go to "Installation" > "Upgrade from SQL Server 2000 or SQL Server 2005";
4. Follow wizard instructions (always click "OK", "Next", ... do not modify any data);
5. Login to Plesk Panel as admin;
6. Go to Home > Server Components and click "Refresh".
Note: In case if the evaluation period of MSSQL 2008 is expired and SQL services are not started, refer to Microsoft article below for how to upgrade an expired installation: