SymptomsIn some cases updates for Internet Explorer 8.0 could not be installed inside a Container.
How to reproduce:
On hardware server HW with PVC 4.0 or 4.5 install Internet Explorer 8.0 installer on the node, it will download its other parts from the Microsoft website, then restart the node. Try to install KB972260 or KB973874 for IE8.0 inside a Container, it will fail ("update does not apply to the system"). On the HW server update however can be installed OK.
ResolutionAccording to error 0x80040002 during update KB972260 installation to Container (CT) the procedure should be the following:
1. Install IE8 on HW server.
2. Start Windows Update service - it will search for self-updates.
3. Reboot HW server.
4. Start container (say #101), and IE8 will be forwarded into it.
5. After that Windows Update service will download self-update and will apply it (such self-update always installs silently).
6. When you see errors inside CT#101 during KB972206 installation this is due to self-update for Windows Update was not forwarded to CT yet.
7. Reload updates list, and Windows Update self-update will be detected and then will be forwarded to CT #101.
8. After that the errors will gone in CT#101.
There is nothing to do with such an error because there is no way to detect just in time that new update was installed on node. Updates list is reloaded periodically and new updates are added to this list.