SymptomsI go to Start, Control Panel, Automatic Updates and all options are grayed-out:
CauseThe option is disabled for Containers in order to avoid server misconfiguration. However on virtual machine it is allowed to enable Windows Updates as for a physical server.
Resolution1. Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT.EXE
2. Navigate to this location:
3. In the right-pane, delete the two values AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate (if any of those is present)
4. Navigate to this location:
5. In the right-pane, delete the value DisableWindowsUpdateAccess
6. Reboot the virtual machine
After that you will be able to configure Automatic Updates.